Saturday, March 15, 2008

A Vanishing Act

I baked something I seldom do, Oatmeal Raisin Cookies. As much as I bake oatmeal cookies, I usually add pretty much anything BUT raisins (walnuts, chocolate chips, cranberries, white chocolate, butterscotch chips, peanut butter chips, M&M's............. not all at once!).

Well, today I was feeling rebelious and thought I would throw caution to the wind and add Raisins to my Oatmeal Cookies! I used a Tried and True recipe from the lid of the Quaker Oatmeal Box!

This recipe produces everything an Oatmeal Raisin Cookie should be, in my opinion, soft, chewy, wholesome (yet not "healthy" tasting) with a hint of cinnamon. The raisins were a welcomed addition to this much loved and altered Oatmeal Cookie Recipe!

Vanishing Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
2 sticks margarine or butter, softened (I used butter)
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional) (I used)
3 cups Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked) (I used Quick Cooking)
1 cup raisins (I soaked in warm water and vanilla for 10 minutes and drained before using)
Heat oven to 350°F.
In large bowl, beat margarine and sugars until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well. Add oats and raisins; mix well.

Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered.

10 comments:

Ally said...

OMG. I love oatmeal Raisin. Yours looks fabulous, like everything else!

Anonymous said...

Nom nom nom nom! These are my FAAAAVORITE type of cookie! They look so perfect too! You are torturing me with those beautiful cookies!

Brilynn said...

You can make oatmeal raisin cookies even better by soaking the raisins in a liqueur overnight!

Kate said...

I can "take or leave" raisins in pretty much everything. They don't fire my jets. BUT ... I've never thought (and never seen instructions) to soak raisins in warm water and vanilla. That is a very fine idea that I'm going to try -- it just may help tip the scales in favor of raisins.

Deborah said...

I don't usually put raisins in my oatmeal cookies, either, but those look so good right now that I might just have to make some!

test it comm said...

Those look great! I have been wanting to try making oatmeal and raisin cookies for a while now.

Nicole Brady said...

Hmmm. Soaking the raisins before cooking them. Interesting. I like that idea but it's a bonus that you did it in vanilla. Yum. Brilynn has the right idea though, soak in liquer. :)

Do you drain and dry them or just drain them?

bakingblonde said...

Brilynn: Great idea with soaking the raisins in liquor instead of vanilla, maybe next time I will use some malibu rum for a little "cocnut" flavor!

Nicol: I just drained the raisins and let them set in a dry bowl for about 5 minutes until I was ready to use. I did not dry them with a paper towel or anything.

For those who have asked: I used high quality Pure Vanilla extract (about 1/4 cup and just enough warm water to cover the raisins).

Jaime said...

this is my go to oatmeal cookie recipe! :)

Anonymous said...

hi!

i tried these! and i mus agree totally with u, that they are delicious! :D Thanks for sharing~ :)

Amanda