Saturday, February 23, 2008

The Ultimate Bar Cookie

If you want a treat that will satisfy that sweet tooth of yours this is your recipe! I originally got this recipe from a lady I volunteered with at Habitat for Humanity project. She brought these as our afternoon treat; these did not last long at and after one bite I knew I needed more. I kindly asked and she wrote down the recipe for me. After a quick internet search for the source I found a similar one here at CDkitchen.

This is a recipe (if you can call it that) that I have been using and adapting (based on what ingredients I have on hand) for years. I love the fact that it is so adaptable based on what you have in the kitchen pantry and freezer. My favorite topping combination is White chocolate chunks, semi-sweet and milk chocolate chips and walnut pieces. But have tried many topping combinations and have yet to find a "bad" one.

I love the brown sugar shortbread-like crust and the toffee mixture that sinfully holds all of the toppings to the crust. These cookie bars are very sweet so you can get away with cutting them small.

You can cut these bars into squares or do what I did for a cute presentation.
I used various sizes of round cookie cutters to cut the bars after they had cooled and chilled slightly for easy cutting.
The remaining bar pieces I store in a tupperware container in the freezer and use as a topping for my icecream. MMMMMMMMM. I love treats that keep on giving.


The Ultimate Bar Cookies
2 cups flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
**
1 1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts (any of the following, walnuts, macadamia nuts, pecans)
1/2 cup white chocolate -- coarsely chopped
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
**
3/4 cup butter (NO substitutions)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350.
Line a 9x13 pan with foil.
Beat flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and 1/2 cup butter until fine crumbs form. Pat mixture firmly into bottom of foil lined baking pan. Bake 15 minutes, or until golden. Remove from oven.

Sprinkle nuts and chocolate (or other toppings) over the hot crust.

In a saucepan over medium heat, stir together 3/4 cup butter 1/2 cup brown sugar, stirring constantly until bubbly. Once it starts bubbling cook and stir for 1 minute.

Pour mixture evenly over nuts and chocoalte in pan. Make sure not to get too close to the edges of the pan or it will burn to the sides.

Bake 15 minutes more or until just bubbly around edges.
Cool in pan on rack. Cut into bars.

** You can use any toppings that you and your family enjoy. Try mixing and matching your fave nuts or chocolate. I have also created a variety of combinations using dark chocolate bars chopped, butterscotch chips, peanut butter chips, toasted coconut, Reese's pieces, Reese's pb cups chopped, crushed Fritos etc.

8 comments:

Linds said...

Mmm looks delicious. You seriously make the tastiest desserts that are so simple but so unbelievably tasty. I dont think there is a recipe on your blog that doesn't make me drool! I will be adding this to my collection, thanks for sharing!

bakingblonde said...

Awe, Lindsey you are too kind. I LOVE your blog and it is saved to my google reader. I loved the crockpot chicken pizzaoila!

Jaime said...

wow, these look SO good!

Anonymous said...

Ultimate is right!! Seriously, I am in AWE of you and your creative baking skills! I could never make anything like this up. So...all that said. When are you sharing?? ;)

annie said...

I just found your blog, and I am so glad I did! These look amazing!

Carrie said...

I made these, they are WONDERFUL!!!

bakingblonde said...

Carrie, I am so glad you liked them!

Robyn said...

I made these lovely bars today and took your suggestion to cut them with a round cookie cutter. I used white, semi sweet and milk chocolate chips. I can't use nuts in my baking, I usually drop them off at my husbands work and I think someone has allergies. They looked amazing and tasted excellent. I put them in little muffin papers. thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. I love your blog and your pictures are great.