Saturday, January 5, 2008

Best Brownies?

You be the judge.

The quest for the perfect basic brownie recipe is as ongoing as the quest for the perfect chocolate chip cookie. Each person has their own opinion as too what makes the "Perfect" one. I prefer a brownie that is NOT cakey, yet chewy and a little fudgey. I despise frosting on a brownie as I feel it is really just a cover for a so-so brownie recipe under neath. That being said, if you want fudgey brownies, you will want to try this recipe.

This recipe comes from the wonderful experts at Hershey (who have brought us the BEST chocolate cake recipe I have tried, sorry no pictures or blog entry on that yet). I typically use the recipe from the back of the Ghiridelli Sweetened Chocolate can but decided to try a new recipe in honor of a new year!
These brownies were very dense and fudge-like, almost a little too fudgey (that may be a good thing for some people). Many people over bake their brownies leaving them dry and crumbly, a toothpick inserted in the center should have a few crumbs on it when testing for the doneness of brownies. If it comes out clean you have overbaked them.

Now on to the recipe:
*My changes in red

Best Brownies
(Source: Hershey's)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, melted
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup Hershey’s cocoa (I used Ghiridelli becacue that is what I had on hand)
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional; I used walnuts)
Heat oven to 350.
Grease 9-inch square baking pan. (I used an 8x8 square pan)
Stir together butter, sugar and vanilla in bowl. Add eggs; beat well with spoon.
Stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to egg mixture, beating until well blended.
Stir in nuts, if desired.
Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of the pan. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into squares.

4 comments:

Ally said...

That is one good looking Brownie! I bet is was so much better with the ghiradelli!

Cakespy said...

I like more dense, fudg-y brownies too...this looks like a decadent recipe!

Jaime said...

i can't wait to try this recipe! i don't like cakey brownies either so hopefully this one won't disappoint :)

Mollie said...

I LOVE these brownies! I have found that I like them best with 1/2 hershey's cocoa, 1/2 ghiridelli cocoa. Seems to be the perfect combo of bitter and sweet... mmmmm these are SOOOOOOO good.

I also love that you melt the butter - no waiting for "soft" which is so annoying when you need a brownie NOW! :)