Saturday, December 29, 2007

Pour some Sugar on Me

Sugar Cookies!!!
I found a keeper! I have only baked these once, but trust me, they WILL be made again sooner than later!
I am a lover of all sweets at the holidays as my tight fitting clothing this week proves. I have always loved my mom's crisp sugar cookies with a gentle sprinkling of sugar, I still do.

But every now and then I am in the mood for a nice thick and chewy sugar cookie topped with frosting. I have tried many recipes but these fit that bill! The dough was sooo easy to work with and did not require chilling before rolling (time saver!). These cookies are soft and have an amazing butter flavor lacking in many sugar cookies in my opinion. I know the Holidays are over, but do yourself (not your waistline) a favor and bake up a batch of these today. Use a non-holiday cookie cutter and these can be enjoyed year round! Yeah!!
Famous Sugar Cookies
1 cup butter (VERY soft)
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 375.

In a small bowl stir together the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
In mixing bowl beat butter until soft and smooth. Add in sugar and beat to combine. Add egg and vanilla and beat until just combined. Add flour mixture. Beat until just combined and dough is smooth.
Turn out to floured work surface and roll to 1/3" thickness. Use cookie cutter to cut desired shapes.
Place cookies on baking sheets and bake for 6-9 minutes until beginning to brown on bottom and around edges. Don't overbake or they will be crisp. Tasty, but crisp.
Cool on counter.
Once cooled, frost with desired frosting. I used this one:

Famous Frosting
4 oz. Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 stick butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups powdered sugar (sift after measuring)
*whipping cream to thin if needed
In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, butter, vanilla and salt. Beat until combined. Slowly beat in powdered sugar until well combined. Add more powdered sugar or whipping cream until desired consistency is reached.


Stir in food coloring if desired. Frost cookies. Allow to set for 20-45 mintutes before storing.


3 comments:

Jaime said...

i don't make sugar cookies often, but next time i do i will have to try your recipe! you should try peabody's recipe, they are melt in your mouth good!

Amy said...

Thanks for the recipe tip on the WC board. I'm making these for my BF on Vday!

Carrie said...

I made these last night, seriously to die for! Thank you SOOO much for sharing the recipe!