Monday, October 15, 2007

Cooking for One

Gone Fishin

Tonight I was on my own for dinner. I was in the mood for fish but after reading throush several recipes decided I would wing it. I had some frozen Mahi Mahi so I thawed that and decided to raid my pantry.

This meal was so quick (less than 15 minutes start to finish), super healthy (low carb and lovin it!) and so flavorful (can we say Red Pepper Flakes???). I would definately make this again! I did not use exact measurements but here it the jist of what I did:

Seared Mahi Mahi with a Southwest Flare
3 oz. Mahi Mahi
1/2 cup black beans (rinsed and drained)
1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
2 cloves garlic minced
Cumin (to taste)
Chili Powder (to taste)
Dash (or 3-4 if you are me!) of Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
Salt (to taste)
Fresh ground pepper (to taste)
1/2 tsp Lime juice (I used bottled)
EVOO spray

Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Spray with EVOO spray. Wash fish and pat dry. Season with salt, pepper and cumin. Sear fish in hot pan on one side. Do not move fish for 45-60 seconds to ensure a nice searing. Flip and sear the other side for 30-45 seconds. Remove fish from pan and place on plate.

Reduce heat to medium and spray pan with a little more EVOO spray (may want to turn vent on because it may smoke, ha ha). Add onion and cook for 30 seconds stirring frequently. Add garlic, tomatoes and black beans. Season with cumin and chili powder (I used about 1/3 tsp cumin and 1/4 tsp chili powder, use less if you don't want the heat). Add a dash or two of crushed red pepper flakes (more or less depending on how hot you want it, I was liberal, ha ha)
Cover and let simmer for 45-60 seconds or until onions become transluscent.

Stir and season to taste (I added more cumin). I added 1/8 cup water because the mixture was a little thick. Return fish to pan, cover and simmer until fish is heated through and liquid has reduced to desired consistency (about 45-60 seconds).

Remove fish to plate, stir in lime juice and stir. Season to taste and plate tomato/bean mixture with fish.

*Next time I will add 1/2 cup frozen corn when I add the tomatoes and beans and garnish with fresh chopped cilantro when adding the lime juice.

This would pair nicely with Mexican or Brown rice!

2 comments:

Jaime said...

i am always looking for new ways to cook fish and this sounds so good! :)

Ally said...

looks delicious! lol @ the RR and George Stella references. Too funny!